Friday, June 17, 2011

Big boxes, little boxes, square boxes, rectangular boxes

I find moving somewhat of a therapeutic process. There are times where I do get sentimental about things and it also forces me to evaluate what I really do NEED in my life. While we are on the topic of NEED, I probably don’t need 60% of the things I own! I am definitely not a minimalist but I am definitely not a pack rat and don’t like a lot of knick-knacky things. I fall in the middle somewhere.

There are some items that I have been holding onto for quite a while for various reasons. For example, there was a dress I wore, right before Adam and I started dating, to his brother’s wedding. It was a spicy little number. I asked Adam last night if he remembered it and he definitely did and was able to describe almost every detail. This is rare for Adam because he has the worst memory (self-admitted), especially with clothing items. I have been holding on to the dress for about 6 years now and I have finally decided to give it away. I have worn plenty of dresses around him since then, but there was something the way he looked at me when I was ready that made him seem completely blown away! It was the first time I have ever seen him look at me like that and I think that is why I have been holding on to it for so long!
Last night, as we were getting deeper into the packing process, I took a moment and stood in the middle of our apartment with boxes all around me, bare walls, and thought to myself how depressing it is to see my life packed away in boxes! My pictures, candles, china, photo albums, linens; everything that makes a house a home, is all packed away. But, Adam and I will be able to create a new home in Nebraska and really my home is with him and the memories we create in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment