Tuesday, June 14, 2011

25 for 25

Instead of being down in the dumps that I am turning the dreaded 25 I am going to celebrate how wonderful my 25 years of life have been! At this point in my life, I really don’t have much to complain about and I have had a pretty good life overall!

To celebrate my birthday, I am going to list 25 things I have learned in my 25 years!
1. Parents really do know more than we do! Although I thought I knew it all from the age of probably 14-21, I finally realized that is probably in my best interest to hear what they have to say!

2. Just because you have two college degrees, doesn’t guarantee the “ideal” job!
3. But, never settle! Keep going after what you want and deserve!

4. I can never make everyone happy. If I try, I lose myself and that is the worst of it all. I can only do what I believe is best and if makes people happy; great! If it doesn’t, it isn’t the end of the world.
5. There are ALWAYS two sides to every story and it is important to hear both of them before passing judgment.

6. There is no need to push others down in order to be on top! There is certainly room for everyone and you will get there quicker if you work together!
7. Always find a reason to laugh and smile every single day!

8. Dreams are long-term goals that you have for yourself if you let them be. I daydream all the time about future trips, homes, kids, etc. Sometimes I need those dreams to get through the day!
9. “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” Joseph Campbell. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a planner. While I have learned this quote, it is hard for me to still grasp at times. It is alright to life interject and let you live what was intended.

10. Choose your battles.
11. You are responsible for who you are. Not your parents, not your past, and not your friends. You determine who you want to be.

12. I believe any combination of chocolate and peanut butter can cure anything from a broken heart to a cold!

13. Never stop educating yourself. Even though I am out of school, I continue to educate myself through a variety of informal fashions. Whether it is through podcasts, professional associations, the news, etc. find something that makes you want to learn!
14. While I have my own home, there is nothing better than “going home.”

15. And, even though I am married, no one can replace my mom when it comes to being taken care of when sick.
16. Have the ability to find enjoyment in everything; including a rainy, gloomy day! That is when you actually do have an excuse to lay in bed all day, dozing in and out!

17. While I probably hated my brother for about the first 15 years of my life (we did have the occasional good moments), I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am happy to not have been an only child. Looking back on it, there would have been SEVERAL bored summers if we didn’t have each other!
18. My definition of “fun” has definitely evolved. What was once a great Friday night 4,5, or 6 years ago doesn’t seem so great anymore! Yes, I do enjoy getting together at local establishments once in a while, but the thought of doing that 2, 3, or 4 times a week doesn’t sound appealing whatsoever now! I am perfectly content staying at home on a Friday night making dinner with my sweets and watching a movie with a good glass of wine!

19. Try to live in the present. A friend recently posted on his Facebook, “Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.” I am very guilty of worrying too much about the future and it causes me to miss out on the present and not remember the past.
20. Giving feels much more rewarding than getting.
21. I find it perfectly acceptable to watch a marathon of useless, trashy, drama-filled reality TV!
22. I also find it perfectly acceptable to watch the same move 20+ times because it is just “One of those movies.”
23. As messy as I was as a child and teenager, I really can’t stand clutter and messes now! In that respect, I truly am my mother’s daughter!
24. Never really know what you have until you no longer have it. I live in good ol’ Maryville for 6 years and even though it is quite a bit smaller than Rolla, I miss a lot of things about the city and the University that I never thought I would. Such as, a good grocery store is hard to come by and I was definitely spoiled by the Hy-Vee in Maryville! Why I never took advantage of the dinner theater at the Hangar before grad school is beyond me. I could go on, but I won’t!

25. I am sure the next 25 years will have its highs and lows! Bring it!




No comments:

Post a Comment