Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Selfish Newlywed

My first post in this blog I discussed my current work situation and how I am not completely satisfied by it. When I say satisfaction, I am not talking about money or benefits, but what I am taking away from the position. On a regular basis I ask myself if I have learned anything new about myself or about the industry, and on a pretty regular basis the answer is "I have learned this is not where I want to be." In my current role, I have never once answered, "Yes, even though I secretly cried after a student yelled at me and I have two meetings this evening and a paper to write for graduate school, I still love what I do and wouldn't trade it." While that answer doesn't specifically apply to my current position but very much so with my last position, I still want to know and see how far I can be pushed and see what I can handle.

I know I should be happy that I have a job. I get it. The economy sucks, there are millions of people without work, I have a nice home, a great husband, great friends, great family, etc. but I want more. I know this sounds selfish, but I want more out of my career. My current job is not a career and I view it as just a job. But when do I just give it up and be content with my current work situation. It is hard for me to be content when I spend approximately 36% of my waking hours at a job that I don't like and feel that I am not making a difference. I blame this on my parents for raising me too well. I could care less if I make more money, but I want to know that at the end of the day, I have made a difference. I think it is great that my parents instilled this philosophy in me: money isn't important, helping people and making a difference is.

Even though we are settled in, I am still applying for jobs elsewhere. Adam is a blessing and still tells me to go for it if I will be happier. I just feel that everything else in my life is essentially seamless and perfect, but my job situation isn't. Am I being selfish? Do I want to much or have too high of expectations? Is it bad to want a well-rounded life and career?

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you! I can legitimately say "I've been there"--and you are NOT being selfish! But I do wish I would have appreciated my situation more when I was at my old job. I miss the strict 40 hour/week schedule, the low stress and more casual environment. My frustrations with my current job are just different...but work always has its frustrations. Good luck continuing with your job search!

    ReplyDelete