Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mixed Emotions

I have mixed feelings regarding Osama Bin Laden’s death. While I watched CNN Monday evening when it was announced, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of disappointed when I saw the reactions of my fellow Americans. Am I happy that someone with such hatred towards, not just the United States but to mankind is no longer a threat; yes. Am I happy someone died? No. In addition, I am not sure if jumping for joy and having mass celebrations across the country was the best reaction as it would egg on his followers. Instead of celebrating the death of someone, what if we continued prayer for the people he inflicted harm upon?

Unlike so many that were affected by the actions of 9/11, I was stuck in Midwest bubble and could only imagine what it would have been like to experience such a tragedy through internet and TV. Yes, it was a very devastating event. Yes, it instilled a lot of fear and anger inside so many. However, I am not sure if the way we celebrated the death of an individual should have been the appropriate action. I will celebrate when terrorism has died, not when a terrorist has.

What are your thoughts on the subject? This is one of the great things about the United States; our ability to speak freely without punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment